Introduction: Diabetes mellitus (DM) prevalence in the Philippines (20-79 years) is 5.9% witha total of 3.2 million diagnosed cases and 1.74 million undiagnosed cases making the country one of the world's emerging diabetes hotspots. Recently has it become evident that Diabetes mellitus is prevalent even among the younger age groups. Therefore, a cross sectional study was conducted to evaluate and assess the risk for developing impaired fasting blood glucose level among clinical clerks.
Methods: A total of 188 clinical clerks (67% females and 33% males) consented in the study and agreed to be collected data from. These data include 10 parameters: age, sex, BMI, blood pressure, family history, physical activity, intake of fruits and vegetables, smoking and alcohol consumption and the blood sugar level of the medical students.
Results and Conclusion: A total of 188 students were assessed, out of which 10.64%, 55.85% and 33.51% of the were found to be in high, moderate and low risk groups respectively. Identification of risk factors predisposing medical students, but the undergraduate students as well, improving the overall well-being of the students.
Keywords: Diabetes mellitus, AUSDRISK, clinical clerks.
1. Definition and Description of Diabetes Mellitus. American Diabetes Association, 2009. 32(1): 62-
2. IDF: Bridges Western Pacific. International Diabetes Federation , 2015.
3. Ashok, P , Kharche , JS , Joshi, AR . Evaluation of risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus in medical students using Indian diabetes risk score.. Indian J Med Sci, 2011. 65:1-6
4. Ross, A , Boucher, L . American Dietetic Association guide to diabetes medical nutrition therapy and education. . United States of America: American Dietetic Association,
5. Shani, D , Nimbalkar, A , Phalkar, A . Training in Dietary Practices and Physical Activity to Improve Health among South Asian Medical Students.. 2014.
6. Garg, S , Jagadamba, A . Risk of type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Medical Students.. International Journal of Comprehensive Medical Physiology and Research March, 2014.