Anna Samantha Imperial,
Kenneth Ross Javate,
Rose Ann Palma,
Raymonde Charles Uy,
Ma. Regina Paula Valencia,
June 1, 2007-March 1, 2008
Common wisdom dictates that sleep is a critical factor in terms of health and development especially for adolescents, a finding validated by various research studies. Nowadays, adolescents in particular are observed to sleep less and to be awake during the late hours of night. Determining the mean daily night-time mean sleep duration of a public high school student from Pasig in terms of their year level, sex, and the day of the week, specifically whether the next day is a school day or not will be done by the researchers of this group because it would be able to provide statistical data for future studies and applications in fatigue, performance, and other aspects that are related to sleep. Two-stage sampling will be used, and a prevalence study design for the topic shall be employed because the research is descriptive in nature and the current epidemiology of sleep for a public high school student from Pasig shall be assessed. With this study, primary data shall be collected and the chosen method of data collection by the researchers will be through query by way of a sleep diary. This tool will be given to the participants of this study by the researchers. Participants are to take this sleep diary home and they are to record their exact sleep times daily, from Monday to Sunday for one week. The data that will be collected in the study will be analyzed using the program EpiInfo and the means will be computed, a central measure of tendency, to determine the daily mean sleep of public high school students from Pasig City. Moreover, the standard deviation and the range will also be used in the study as measures of dispersion.
To determine the daily night-time mean sleep duration of a public high school student from Pasig
1. To determine the mean daily number of hours of night-time sleep of a public high school student from Pasig
2. To determine the mean daily number of hours of night-time sleep of a public high school student from Pasig in terms of:
a. year level 1st, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year
b. sex: male and female
c. day of the week: school night and non-school night
1. Mendoza, OM , Borja, MP , Sevilla, TL , Ancheta, CA , Saniel, OP , Sarol, JN Jr. . Foundations of Statistical Analysis for the health Sciences. University of the Philippines Manila, 2000.
2. Chen, MY , Wang, EK , Yang, RJ , Yeng, YJ . Adequate sleep among adolescents is positively associated with health status and health-related behaviors. BMC Public Health 2006. 6:59.
3. Groeger, JA . Youthfulness, inexperience, and sleep loss: the problems young drivers face and the those they. Inj. Prev. 2006. 12:19-24.
4. Iglowstein, I , Jenni, OG , Molinari, L , Largo, RH . Sleep duration from infancy to adolescence: reference values and generational trends. Pediatrics 2003. 111;302-30.
5. Yang, C.K. , Kim, J.K. , Patel, A.R. , Lee, J.H. . Age-related changes in sleep/wake patterns among Korean teenagers. Pediatrics 2005. 115:205-25.